Thursday, December 29, 2011

Eye Openers

Breakfast used to be for me a haphazard affair. Rushing around to get out the door on time for work and still getting my early internet fix was often a challenge. When the boys were at home, they craved sweet stuff in the morning. If I had known then, what I know now, they would have gotten a much healthier meal before heading off to school. I'm not surprised, looking back, that they hated school.

Based on what they ate in the morning, they arrived hopped up on sugar and carbs and crashed around 10 a.m. At lunch they got whatever the cafeteria was serving. My boys refused to carry their lunches to school. I could never figure this out as they could have had anything they wanted. I did not learn until recently that kids who carried their lunches were abused by bullies who wanted anything but what was being served in the cafeteria.It was safer to just eat what the cafeteria offered and at least eat; than it was to risk bringing something the bully coveted and eat nothing and risk a beating. Yes, I'm disgusted that this happened to my kids and sad that they did not tell me.

The reason they didn't tell me was because they knew I would raise an unholy war against those bullies and they feared that life would become even rougher for them if I lost.

But, if I knew then what I know now; there would have been other changes (including homeschooling no matter what). But one change would have been a better breakfast.

So, what do I eat today? It varies but one thing I always consume every morning is high vitamin cod liver oil. Then I have either a pint of bone broth with a teaspoon of coconut oil, a couple of eggs with bacon, or a smoothy made with full fat yogurt, a raw egg, raw milk, and carrot or tart cherry juice. If fruit is in season, I'll add a peach or blueberries or blackberries. If I have some frozen, I'll add them when I'm out of my carrot juice. Any of these choices keeps me hard at work and filled with energy until just before or just after noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment