Friday, December 23, 2011

Dreams and Dirt Clods

I want to get back to where I was about 10 years ago when I had an outstanding herb garden and also was able to grow some of my own vegetables and did some wild harvesting.

I would like to do at least two things this Spring -- put in an asparagas bed here and at my parent's home and plant blue berry bushes in both locations. I guess that is four things, but it is two types of plants. The reason I want to include the property at Mom and Dad's it will eventually become my home. If I can get a long term, perennial program going at this location with the pecan trees already in place, that will give me enough extra produce, that I might have something worthwhile to sell locally in years to come.

I also want to get back to the herb gardening. And I would love to get us going again on raising our own vegetables.

We did raise a couple of things each year with sugar snap peas, spinach and a tomato plant; but that's not enough to put food by for the winter. I've been relying on local farm stands to purchase large quantities (like tomatoes, so I can make sauces and kraut. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does get expensive and I'd rather spend my money on locally produced meat.

I would also like to get our chickens back. I do believe I can run them in with the sheep and build them a little coop where they can sleep at night and lay their eggs.

And I am going to talk to our new neighbors about leasing some land where I can plant it with pasture and either expand my sheep operation or get a milking cow (or both).

No comments:

Post a Comment